...the sailing season 2013 is finished. SY EraOra is back at Dubrovnik and getting ready to be lifted out of the water, cleaned, covered and stored away till the next summer. This was the second season sailing along the Croatian coast and luckily the season went well nothing bad happend to us or the boat. The weather wasn't as stable as 2012 and it was a bit of a challenge from time to time but now we are all back at the marina save and healthy, so no big complains. EraOra did a great job, Hallberg-Rassy built a wonderful safe boat, so again we have to thank this long time boat building company from Ellös. Now it is time to go back home for a couple of months rest and while playing around with the snow in the Italian Alps, we will be thinking back to those amazing sunsets, the sound of the waves and the wind. New exciting plans will be made for the next season, but in the meanwhile a little video of the travel lift in action.
One of the classic dreams of a sailor are dolphins swimming next to his boat, who wouldn't want to experience such a wonderful moment. During the last day of this sailing season on the way back to Dubrovnik at once very close to our boat a group of dolphins popped up, breathing out loudly and back in again just to dive down for a couple of minutes. Almost over an hour the school was swimming next to EraOra. What a great last sailing day, the perfect conclusion for this season. With all the excitement i only took a couple of shots and tried to make a kind of stop motion video, hope you enjoy. You can read more about the dolphin population near the Croatian coast here
* wake up call at 7.30 because the neighbours are leaving and probably are going to take our anchor, chain and boat with them.
* temperatures already 30 degrees
* breakfast with cornflakes & milk.
* putting on bimini for shade in the cockpit.
* first swim.
* filling the solar shower with water for the evening shower.
* preparing backpack for the grocery shopping in the village.
* putting sunscreen on.
* preparing cables, charger, phone and iPad to charge in coffee shop.
* finally ready to leave, close the hatches and jump into the dinghy.
* oh no, climb back up and take the rubbish bag too.
* rowing 15 min to the village to save fuel as the next petrol station is 10 km away.
* temperatures already close to 38 degrees.
* coffee stop with charging included.
* finally shopping.
* hunting for fresh vegetables, fruits and eggs and 20 liter of drinking water, all very rare on small islands.
* using the shopping trolley to roll everything thru the village to the dinghy as it weightes more than 30 kilos.
* temperatures have reached 40 degrees, it is midday.
* dinghy gets filled up, luckily we still fit.
* motoring back to EraOra against the wind and the waves.
* getting a free salt water shower on the way back.
* at arrival lifting everything onto the boat.
* boat temperature inside over 45 degrees.
* cleaning fruits and vegetables, storing the groceries and the water.
* time for a swim, finally.
* and ready for the next round.
* preparing lunch ;-)
Cruising on a sailboat is not always only cocktails, sunsets and fish dinner.
Are we complaining? No way, we still remember days at the office ;-)
Our beautiful Hallberg-Rassy 31 "EraOra" moored in a bay on the Croatian Island of Mljet.
Every day again i think:"It is just another sunset", but then on certain days, the color, the light, the softness, the peace, everything is just so amazing and beautiful. This is a really special time of the day.